Sunday, December 2, 2007

The Politics of Complacency

I was thinking this morning after reading a few different articles in the New York Times, that although I hate what (Fake) President George W. Bush has done to our country, at least his incompetency and refusal to do anything decent has motivated so many other, "regular" people to take action for causes in which they believe.

Maybe I just like the idea of resistance. But I also really like seeing people realize that change comes from within. There's no way you can rely on other people, especially your government (even when it's a government you voted for), to do the hard work and make the right choices.

It just proves that the U.S., no matter what conflicted feelings I or you or the rest of the world have about it, is really in the end what it sets out to be. A place where new ideas and individuality are safe, even though sometimes it feels like it will take forever for them to be fully realized or accepted. It still moves a lot faster than in a lot of other places in the world. Not ALL places, but a lot.

And I can't say enough about freedom of expression, so I won't even try.
Suffice it to say, although I and millions of others will continue to question it and criticize it, the idea of what we could be still means something to me. And that doesn't just go for the U.S., that goes for all of humanity.

Two inspirational pieces were titled:
"A Broken City. A Tree. Evening."
"The People We Have Been Waiting For"

If you have some time look for them on the site. It's free to register!

No comments: