Sunday, July 29, 2007

Awesome Weekend

Well, obviously, I had an awesome weekend, which I really needed after a LOUSY week.

Friday was my birthday, and all I wanted was to go to the beach and relax. So, my friends Jon and Christina joined me for a trek to Brighton Beach. The weather was perfect--blue skies, calm ocean, hot enough to go swimming and breezy enough to enjoy lying out. We spent 3 1/2 hours there and I still hated to leave. That is one thing I really miss about Florida, being able to just go to the beach whenever. It's such a part of the lifestyle down there. The neighborhood of Brighton Beach was fun, too. Quirky and quaint.

Friday night I had a little get together with friends for drinks at Perdition, in Hell's Kitchen (which I will always call Hell's Kitchen, I don't care who calls it Clinton). A great group of people showed up, I got gifts, I got a cupcake, I drank three martinis. It was a lot of fun, and hopefully everyone that came enjoyed themselves, too.

I was a little concerned this year about turning twenty-nine, but I have been surprisingly okay with it, thankfully. It helped that I had a really fun day and night, probably. I'm trembling thinking about next year, though!

Saturday was the Sonic Youth show. I've been a fan of theirs for a long time, so when I found out they would be playing their classic Daydream Nation album in its entirety, I bought two tickets immediately. My friend Jim joined me, and he is a HUGE Sonic Youth fan so I was really glad that he went. It was at McCarren Park Pool in Brooklyn, where I had never been before. It's basically a huge, empty old pool, crumbling and rusting all around you. Pretty cool if you like that kind of thing, which I do. Very Williamsburg. While we were watching the opening act (The Slits), Sonic Youth's drummer came out and stood right in front of us! Neither of us could work up the nerve to say anything, although I did give him a little smile/eyebrow raise when he turned around and made eye contact with us! The show was amazing, they sounded just as great as the album, had a little fun onstage, thanked the audience really pleasantly, AND did two encores with their newer material! We left during the second encore to try and beat the rush, and went to the Creek and the Cave to meet up with Drew and Flynn. Had a couple of drinks and some conversation, and I was ready to head home.

One day soon I'll talk about why my week leading up to this was so miserable. But, I hope it ended up being for the best. For now, I'm still enjoying the glow from the last two days. And tonight, the J.K. Rowling interview on Dateline, the Scott Baio reality show, and Rock of Love with Bret Michaels! I love tv.

No comments: