Monday, August 4, 2008

Thirty

So, people have been asking me to write something about turning 30. I don't really know what to say. I guess I made my peace with it (for the most part) several months back so it kind of doesn't really feel like something I need to write about at this point. There was a point where I had intended to spend my 30th birthday hugging a bottle of Patron tequila and getting an ankle tattoo, but after some contemplation that came off a bit desperate and sad. And I don't feel desperate and sad. I've said several times that it feels similar in some ways to turning 18. I feel a little more self-assured, a little more free, a little more like an adult, but those were feelings I'd been having for a while now. Aging--it's what happens to everyone, and really, it's not as if I went from 29 to 50 overnight or anything. I do feel lucky that I live in a time and in a city where being a single 30-year-old woman is pretty normal. I probably would have felt a lot worse if I hadn't made some changes in the last year and a half, and I don't just mean quitting waiting tables.

I have to say that the day itself was very nice, a Sunday, my favorite day of the week. I had a beautiful and delicious brunch at I Coppi with an excellent group of people who also seemed to enjoy themselves, and who were very nice and patient with the somewhat tipsy guest of honor. After brunch a few of us went to see Mamma Mia, which was cute but not great. And after that we went out on the town and had drinks. I made it home about 12 thirty that night, and certainly (OK, side note, someone just walked by my window wearing only body paint and a white thong--I don't know, just wanted to put this post in context for you all) had a full day. So thanks to everyone who shared it with me, and thanks to everyone who couldn't be here but who called, sent gifts, cards, MySpace and Facebook comments, etc. I mean, it's great that we have so many forms of communication now, there's really no excuse for not acknowledging your friends' big days. I need to be better about it myself.

I should also thank God or Mother Nature or Science or Satan or whoever the fuck decided to remind me that morning that I am still a woman. You really made my day!

And thanks to me, for being me and loving me and buying me some lovely gifts for myself. I love you, me! Hee hee.

P.S Recent celebrity sightings: Martha Plimpton; Albert Hammond, Jr. and his girlfriend Agyness Deyn.

2 comments:

Nic said...

The quesiton is, was it a man or a woman wearing the body paint and thong?! ;)

Alicia said...

Woman with straggly brown hair. ew.