Thursday, April 17, 2008

Update

Just to let you guys know, my grandmother passed away on Sunday while we were all with her. I've never been in the room with someone when they died before, so I wasn't sure how it would be. It was very peaceful, and she actually slipped away at a moment when we were all laughing at something silly my grandfather was saying. We had all been very silent, just watching her and sort of crying, and then we started to talk and laugh a little, and she let go. Maybe she needed to just hear her family, know we would go on and be okay. Anyway, the funeral was on Tuesday, and a lot of family and friends made the trip, so it was very nice. Mentally exhausting, to have to be kind of sociable to people when you just want to go home and absorb things, but very nice. And people also brought over a lot of food, so that is always appreciated!

Thank you guys for your words of encouragement last week. We aren't ready yet to sell the house or anything, but we did take some photos and my aunt let me pick out a few pieces of jewelry. I took two things that I had given her.

My Grandpa is going to be going down to Florida with my Mom, at least until school lets out. Then I think she and Louie will be bringing him back up to Georgia for the summer, and also they might take him to Washington, DC, so he can go to the World War II Memorial. It's going to be a big adjustment for him, and for my Mom and Louie! He took this whole thing very hard, as would be expected. I just hope it doesn't make him want to give up. But I think the change of scenery, and being around my Mom and Louie will be helpful.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I am so sorry to hear about your grandmother. However, I appreciate you sharing with us the experience you had. Sounds very peaceful, and obviously she knew at that time how loved she was. If you need to talk, I'm always just a phone all away!

Elita said...

So sorry to hear about Minner. :(